Pages

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

VCU




Grant House
Ambulatory Care Center
Medical Center


Last Friday, I had an interview day at Virginia Commonwealth University. I flew in Thursday afternoon, and was really impressed with Richmond. The cab driver told me if I like slow paced cities, Richmond is the perfect fit. I agreed, there seems to be less traffic in Richmond than in Provo. I had a good walk around campus on my own and found some dinner.

The next morning I woke up and had some good thinking time. My interview did not start until 11:15. I got there with about 25 minutes to spare and waited in a conference like room at the Grant House. All of the admissions committee helped us to feel very comfortable and welcome. As we were getting to know each other, an alumni found out I was from BYU and pulled me out in the hall, gave me his card, and told me to get in touch with him if I wanted help finding housing. That was a pleasant surprise. I also met a former mission buddy of my brother's, he was also interviewing that day.

The interviews went really well. I interviewed with the Bioinformatics professor, an alumni who works with HCA, and a current student. I feel good about the answers I gave. They were the typical interview questions like:
Why VCU?
What are your strengths and weaknesses?
Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Then we were able to go on a tour of campus. The graduate school is still known as MCV (Medical Campus of Virginia), and is very detached from the undergraduate campus. MCV is huge, and there are a lot of opportunities to be in the hospital during the program.

My overall impression of the program was very good. The Grant House becomes students' home away from home. All classes, professors, and studying takes place in the Grant House. To me that is important because it gives the program a family feel. The alumni network is fantastic. Even during school, it is to find a part-time job in the area because so many alumni work at nearby hospitals. I feel it is important to be able to work during grad school to support my family, but what makes VCU great is they help you get a part-time job in administration, not just a delivery driver. There are a lot of other programs that don't recommend working during school. The 3rd year residency is a big selling point for their program. Most programs help you find it, but it still requires a lot of work on your part. VCU pretty much gives you the residency. You do compete with classmates to get the best ones, but everyone gets one.

Despite VCU's website saying you will know the day of interview if you are accepted, I did not find out. Because they operate through rolling admissions, all spots have been offered and now I have to wait for other applicants to make their decisions, and if they choose not to go to VCU, spots for guys like me open up. Dr. Clement said I am well qualified and that an open spot is all I need. I know it will all work out!

I would love to have any questions or comments!


3 comments:

  1. Good description, Alex! I agree with the "family feel" of the program and the slower pace of the city. I hope a spot opens for you. Did you get a chance to go to "the fan" or carry town?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I stayed on Cary St (about a mile from MCV), but not close to either of those areas, there was definitely some sketchy parts I would have had to walk through to get there. I hear they are nice areas though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please add the below link to your blogroll.
    Title: PG Diploma in Hospital Administration
    URL: http://www.postgraduate-diploma-in-hospital-administration.com/

    PG Diploma in Hospital Administration

    ReplyDelete