Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Finding an Internship

During my undergraduate studies, I was constantly told I needed to find work experience. As an economics major, I was finding it difficult to decide where exactly I wanted to get work experience. To cut a long story short, I finally decided on hospital administration. I tried to get a job as a food service worker at a hospital, and even as a housekeeper, but never got called for an interview. My experience of finding an internship in administration was difficult, but worth the wait. Here is a list of ideas to help in the process:
  1. Network: This power of developing relationships is often underestimated. It is more important who you know than what you know. Join local chapters of ACHE and attend regular meetings. You may understand very little of the material presented, but the networking opportunities are great. Most senior level executives in the field genuinely want to help early careerists.
  2. Think beyond hospitals. A lot of physician practices and clinics would love extra help with operations or strategic projects. Talk to doctors, physicians assistants, etc. you have in your network.
  3. Know that you don't know: Despite your 4.0 and leadership experience in a club, an undergraduate student knows little to nothing about hospital administration. The organizations you are seeking experience from are doing you a huge favor by giving you the experience of being involved. Interns in hospital administration, especially undergraduate students bring little value to the hospital. This idea is not meant to say you are nothing, but I think it's important to have that attitude as you meet with hospital leaders who could offer you an opportunity. Too many potential candidates show up with this "you'd be lucky to have me" attitude, which is a big red flag.
  4. Volunteer: Based on number two, you should not be expected to be paid in your internship. The only people I know that are paid for internships are currently in a Master's program. Be willing to volunteer and in all my experiences, after a couple of months of proving myself, they were willing to discuss paying me.
  5. Be flexible: Be willing to be as flexible as possible to show them your desire to be in healthcare.
  6. Passion: Because potential interns know little about healthcare, an executive looks for the passion an intern has for the field. Being able to express articulately your reasons for becoming a healthcare administrator gives you a leg up in finding an internship.
I hope this helps. This is in no way an all encompassing list of how to get an internship, but I feel it gives a good overview. Please leave a comment to add anything else you have learned from your experiences in securing an administrative internship.

4 comments:

  1. Alex, thanks for the advice. I'm about to graduate with a Bachelor in Healthcare management and I'm already registered to continue my studies and get a Masters in Public Administration. I was worried about having no experience but I'll follow your advice on getting a volunteer position in a hospital. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anonymous

    Glad the advice helped.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please add the below link to your blogroll.
    Title: PG Diploma in Hospital Administration
    URL: http://www.postgraduate-diploma-in-hospital-administration.com/

    PG Diploma in Hospital Administration

    ReplyDelete
  4. what internships would you recommend?

    ReplyDelete