Pages

Monday, February 28, 2011

Strengths Based Leadership

When we seek to improve, one of our first questions is

"Where am I weak?"

I used to allows set goals based on my weaknesses. It seemed the most logical thing for me to do in order to become a well-rounded person and leader. Despite good intentions, the idea that improving ourselves only by focusing our weaknesses is flawed. In introductory economics courses we learn that specialization is key. If I am good at manufacturing widgets, then why would I manufacture gidgets? I can consume more gidgets by trading one widget than I can widgets with one gidget (excuse the product). My sister-in-law's Mom is a former VP of Employee Benefits and gave me a box of books to borrow, which has provided me reading material for the next three years. She had one book that was for me to keep, titled Strengths Based Leadership.

Great. Another personality test. Well I trusted her and went ahead and started reading before I took the test.

Through reading the stories of a few influential leaders I decided to take the test. After being classified under 5 strengths, you are given an explanation for each one. I read them, and then had my wife read them a couple of days later. She responded with, "this is you to a T!" I have been amazed with how well it explains how we need to focus on our strengths and use them to our advantage. We need to also help others develop their strengths. In the back of the book is about two to three pages for each strength on how to develop it further. At the end of each strength's section is a list of how to lead someone with that particular strength. This is definitely a tool I am going to use throughout my career.


No comments:

Post a Comment