Pages

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Internship

During my undergraduate studies, I had the opportunity to work as an intern at a smaller hospital near the university. After searching for some sort of internship for a year, I realized I needed to be willing to volunteer. I got a lead from a friend and showed up at the CEOs office asking to speak to him. After discussing my career goals, he said he would be in contact with me. Two days later, his secretary called and asked me to come in. I met with the CEO and the Associate Administrator (who would quickly become my immediate mentor).

Within two weeks I was working on projects. My first project was to research all the aspects of implementing a formal internship program. I talked with career services at the major universities, discussed potential projects with hospital directors, and was able to understand the HR interface. Through all of this I was able to learn the roles of the various departments. I was able to present my findings to the CEO of our hospital, as well as, the CEO of another hospital in the system. To this day there are now around 5 interns between the two hospitals.

One of the more difficult projects I worked on was figuring out how to help patients have a better perspective of ancillary services. When a patient comes into the ED, they will often have a lab test ordered, and the nurse will say, "we are just waiting on the lab for results." In the patient's mind, they are thinking, "I have to wait, this must be a really slow lab." If the nurse probably educated the patient by saying, "This lab test typically takes half an hour to process. Our lab is very good about having tests done promptly," then the patient knows what to expect and is pleased with the process. I worked on coming up with scripts for nurses to talk to patients in similar situations.

My internship was able to give me the introductory experience to understand what a hospital is and what certain members of the staff do. It has served as an enhancement to my education.

7 comments:

  1. I just wanted to say that I found your site through a search for administrative internships, and I have read every entry you have made. I found it very interesting, seeing that I begin working towards my MHA this Fall at Texas A&M! I really liked your insight, and I found much of what you said very intriguing. Please keep up these entries, for I would love to hear more of what to expect in my journey as well. From what I have read, I believe many of your future career goals are similar to mine, so I will be reading more to find out what is going on in your hectic life as an MHA student!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brandon! Glad you found it. I hope this blog is helpful. I actually know a number of alumni from the A&M program. Best of luck! Feel free to email me or even request anything for me to cover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Brandon You should start a blog about your experiences at the A&M program.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alex and Brandon,

    I'll be starting on a MPH in Health Policy & Management at UCLA in a few weeks so I think I may start a blog as well. I think it's important to show prospective students "a day in the life of" a health administration student.

    -Ram

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ram,

    Let me know when you do! I would be more than happy to read and put a link on this blog. I think the more student perspectives out there, the better.

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alex,

    What advice would you give someone that doesn't have a connection with the CEO? What other ways do you think it would be possible to find some sort of experience? I currently work at Texas Scottish Rite, but not as an administrator. They do not have any positions available like I thought they would, so I have to find an alternative soon. Thanks in advance!

    ~J.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Each situation is a bit different. Do you have a master's degree? What's your background? Depending on the answers to the questions decides what route you should take. On the other hand, no matter what the answers are, you need to network. I didn't know a lot of CEOs while I was a student, but took advantage of linkedin and cold called a number of them and that opened many doors for me. You'll find most people are willing to talk with you.

    ReplyDelete