Pages

Friday, September 16, 2011

E-patients

When I first decided I wanted to get into healthcare, I began looking at blogs of hospital administrators, and researching current trends. Health reform was being debated all over the media, but a growing group of what we call e-patients was developing. I have been very intrigued with this trend in healthcare and am excited to see how it will grow.

The whole idea behind e-patients is moving from the doctor/provider in a paternal role, to the patient and provider working together to provide the proper treatment and therapy for the patient. One of the well-known advocates I have found is Dave deBronkart. The following excerpt is taking from his website.


“e-Patient Dave” deBronkart was diagnosed in January 2007 with Stage IV, Grade 4 renal cell carcinoma (kidney cancer) at a very late stage. His median survival time at diagnosis was just 24 weeks; with tumors in both lungs, several bones, and muscle tissue, his prognosis was “grim,” as one web site described it.
He received great treatment at Boston’s Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center: his surgeon removed the extensive mess (laparoscopically!), and the Biologic Therapy program helped him participate in a clinical trial for the powerful but severe High Dosage Interleukin-2 (HDIL-2). His last treatment was July 23, 2007, and by September it was clear he’d beaten the disease. His remaining lesions have continued to shrink.

Today: Advocate and Activist

An accomplished speaker and writer in his professional life before his illness, today Dave is actively engaged in opening health care information directly to patients on an unprecedented level, thus creating a new dynamic in how information is delivered, accessed and used by the patient. This is revolutionizing the relationship between patient and health care providers, which in turn will impact insurance, careers/jobs, quality of life and the distribution of finances across the entire spectrum of health care."

The main organization one should look into is the Society for Participatory Medicine
The whole idea behind collaborative healthcare is genius. Growing up with a diabetic brother, has helped me realize the need for engaged patients, as well as understand how a physician committed to patient collaboration can improve the health status of their patients.

4 comments:

  1. I must say i appreciate your blog. Aside from the appealing web page, this blog that may be go through directly into this blog is actually impressing. I buy some crucial subject areas within the following which can't be affecting any sites. Thanks for expressing this site. I like this. Hospitals in Dombivli || Physiotherapy in Dombivli || Hospital in Dombivli

    ReplyDelete
  2. Useful information. I am actual blessed to read this blog. thanks for giving us this advantageous information.I acknowledge this post.and I would like bookmark this post. Cancer Surgeon in Dombivli || Urology Center in dombivli || Orthopedic Surgeon in Dombivli

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm 55-year-old from Korean, I was diagnosed with second-stage liver cancer following a scheduled examination to monitor liver cirrhosis. I had lost a lot of weight. A CT scan revealed three tumors; one in the center of my liver in damaged tissue and two in healthy portions of my liver. No chemotherapy or radiotherapy treatment was prescribed due to my age, the number of liver tumors. One month following my diagnosis I began taking 12 (350 point) Salvestrol supplements per day, commensurate with my body weight. This comprised six Salvestrol Shield (350 point) capsules and six Salvestrol Gold (350 point) capsules, spread through the day by taking two of each capsule after each main meal. This level of Salvestrol supplementation (4,000 points per day) was maintained for four months. In addition, I began a program of breathing exercises, chi exercises, meditation, stretching and stress avoidance. Due to the variety of conditions that I suffered from, I received ongoing medical examinations. Eleven months after commencing Salvestrol supplementation But all invalid so I keep searching for a herbal cure online that how I came across a testimony appreciating Dr Itua on how he cured her HIV/Herpes, I contacted him through email he listed above, Dr Itua sent me his herbal medicine for cancer to drink for two weeks to cure I paid him for the delivering then I received my herbal medicine and drank it for two weeks and I was cured until now I'm all clear of cancer, I will advise you to contact Dr Itua Herbal Center On Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com. WhatsApps Number...+2348149277967. If you are suffering from Diseases listed below, Cancer, HIV/Aids, Herpes Virus,Bladder cancer,Brain cancer,Colon-Rectal Cancer,Breast Cancer,Prostate Cancer,
    ?Esophageal cancer,?Gallbladder cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,?Hodgkin lymphoma
    ?Intestinal cancer,Kidney cancer,Leukemia,Liver cancer,Lung cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,?Multiple myeloma,?Neuroendocrine tumors,Non-Hodgkin lymphoma,?Oral cancer,Ovarian cancer,?Sinus cancer,Skin cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer,Testicular cancer,Throat cancer,Thyroid Cancer,?Uterine cancer,Vaginal cancer,Als,Vulvar cancer,Hepatitis, Chronic Illness. Lupus,Fibromyalgia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hospital vendor credentialing is a process of reviewing the credentials of a company or individual to ascertain their suitability for providing goods or services to the hospital. The hospital will verify the credentials of the vendor by checking their background and qualifications, checking references, assessing any past work they have done with other hospitals, and ensuring they have the necessary licenses.
    Hospital Vendor Credentialing

    ReplyDelete