Pages

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Trinity it is...

So this is a long overdue announcement. I will be attending Trinity this fall. My wife and I are really excited about moving to San Antonio and being close to my family in Houston. Looking back on my decision, I realize the biggest factor was not tuition, or ranking, but how I fit into the program. Like I mentioned in the previous post, there is a different feel at each of the universities. VCU has a more fast-paced east coast feel, and Trinity is the more Texas feel. Having grown up in Texas, I am definitely more accustomed to their way of thinking. During the decision process I contacted both admissions recruiters asking about financial aid offers since it would play a role in my decision. VCU was not able to make any offers until after I made a decision, but the admissions recruiter at Trinity approached the faculty about my question. She called back two days later and told me at the minimum they would offer me a graduate assistantship, which would include 12 hours of work per week in the department and cut my tuition in half. She said there is still opportunity for more scholarships, but that is my minimum offer. I was ecstatic. I knew I was going to go to Trinity, but half-tuition will save us over 14,000 dollars. That is a lot of money to save.

So now comes to moving. My wife and I decided since we both finish our Bachelor's degrees in June, it would be smarter to move to San Antonio sooner than later. Since it would be hard for me to find a job for 6 weeks here, we think it is better to get out there, find work and housing and then fly back for our graduation ceremony in August. Thanks to all the frequent flyer miles I accumulated as a child (thanks Dad!), we will fly for free. I have started looking for jobs, and am looking at a few banks, which has nothing to do with what I am studying, but they give benefits to part-time employees, which is what I think is most important for my family.

So the adventure starts...heat, cowboy hats, great Mexican food, and everything else San Antonio has to offer. Oh yeah, and an MHA degree with a residency.

1 comment:

  1. Good to hear of your final, final decision. Sounds like a great fit. Make sure we keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete