Pages

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Off the unemployment list...

For the past year, in between classes, being a stay at home dad, and finding a fellowship, I have been trying to find a job in healthcare that would allow me to work in school. Once I secured a fellowship, it became much easier to spend time applying and interviewing. Despite applying for a number of registrar/unit clerk positions, nothing happened.


As I have learned previously, applying online produces little results. I tried calling local alumni, found volunteer opportunities here and there, but with a family to provide for, I could not quite justify volunteering. Luckily, my wife works as a lab tech at a newer facility in town and we decided she was my foot in the door. She began talking to department directors on the nursing floors, and as soon as they learned I was in the Trinity MHA program, out came the red carpet. Within a week I had met with a director, and was taken straight to HR after that meeting. A few days later I had a peer interview, and then filled out all the paperwork yesterday.

So as of this coming Monday, I will officially be a Unit Clerk. I have absolutely no clinical background, so I am a bit nervous. This is going to be a tough job, but I am looking forward to two main advantages.

Clinical Experience. Like I said, I have no clinical experience. I know a little vocabulary here and there from my classes, and some from my internship, but I am excited to take physician orders and have a better understanding of what certain procedures entail.

Understanding of daily operations. My view of hospital operations is from a mountain top. Being on the front lines, I will have a better understanding of the work nurses and physicians do on a daily basis. I feel this will help me have a better picture when I move on to my fellowship and throughout my career.

I will continue to post updates of lessons learned, and hope to provide more insight into the daily operations of a hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment