Pages

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The little things...

I have now been a unit clerk for just over 4 weeks. Last night was my first shift without anyone there holding my hand, which actually worked out great. The job itself is very straightforward, and not much happens on the night shift, so it is pretty easy. The hardest part of the whole job is trying to stay awake until 7 a.m. As hard as making it through twelve hours, I am learning first hand what a lot of hospital employees go through working the night shift. The night shift is very different, with some great people working. Most of them are parents trying to make ends meet while still striving to spend quality time with their children. It has opened my eyes, and I will make sure to always keep these experiences in my mind as I make decisions throughout my career as a hospital administrator. How will this impact nurses? How will this impact those on the night shift?

It is always little things. For example, it was 6:30 a.m. and my mentor and I were struggling to stay awake at the desk. She was packing her things up since she would be leaving in a few minutes and had her water bottle on the desk, and within moments an administrator with a grumpy look on their face immediately asked, “Who’s is that?” I was floored. There was no, “thank you for working 12 hours, you must be tired.” If I as an administrator encountered that situation, I would say something along the lines of, “Hey looks like it has been a long shift. We don’t allow water at the desk, but let me man the desk for you while you go to the break room to get some water.”

How much time out of your day of staring at spreadsheets would that really take, come on? I’m pretty sure the employee would just say, “oh no, I’m ok, but thanks for offering.” You as an administrator just earned a lot of respect that you would be willing to help out a tired employee.

What would you do in that situation? How would you correct someone, while still showing respect?

2 comments:

  1. I actually wish more MHA type programs would include this sort of "front-line" experience to students. I think it helps one earn credibility with staff and well as getting one's hands dirty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been a great experience. There are a few programs that do a great job of getting students this type of experience. One of the key factors is having active alumni in the area.

    ReplyDelete