Pages

Friday, October 14, 2011

Professional Organizations

My most popular post is finding an internship. I think more and more people are looking at getting into hospital administration, but are unsure of where to start. Just like any other journey it always starts with one step. Throughout the whole journey, one word you will hear again and again is networking. I often feel like this is an overused term, but the longer I have been in the field, the more I have realized the power behind it.

I think the best area to start is professional organizations within the industry:


  • American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE): First, don't call it ache, like you have a head-ache. It's pronounced A.C.H.E. This is the most common organization. There are local chapters that have regular networking events and educational seminars. Even if the seminar topics look way over your head, you will learn a lot, and have the opportunity to meet some great people. ACHE also has a great student site that would be well worth your time to start looking into. Students can join ACHE for $75, which is well worth the cost.
  • Medical Group Management Association (MGMA): The pronunciation should be obvious. This is a more specific organization to managers of physician group practices, whether specialty, primary care, or other organizations that employ physician or run physician clinics. The student rate is only $35 dollars and gives you access to reports, databases, and opportunities for networking.
  • Healthcare Financial Managemnt Association (HFMA): I do not know a lot about this group other than executives who work closely with the finances of their organization have found it to be an important aspect of their career. Students can become e-members for free. What a deal!
  • HIMSS: This is the IT organization for the industry. There is a lot to learn here and students can be members for only $30.
All of these organizations are worthy of further research. I have found my membership in ACHE to complement my academic studies. I have met many people who have been very willing to answer questions, and give me insight and advice to better prepare me for my internship.

Finally, if you do join these organizations, find their groups on linkedin and join the discussions. This gives you visibility and an opportunity to connect with more than you could attending every event these organizations sponsor.

I would love to have any comments of how your membership in professional organizations has aided your career.

3 comments:

  1. However ahead of you end up picking whether selecting a not professional or perhaps full time employment, you will need to obviously distinguish very first the phrases of the employment.
    Jobs for administrator

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm 55-year-old from Korean, I was diagnosed with second-stage liver cancer following a scheduled examination to monitor liver cirrhosis. I had lost a lot of weight. A CT scan revealed three tumors; one in the center of my liver in damaged tissue and two in healthy portions of my liver. No chemotherapy or radiotherapy treatment was prescribed due to my age, the number of liver tumors. One month following my diagnosis I began taking 12 (350 point) Salvestrol supplements per day, commensurate with my body weight. This comprised six Salvestrol Shield (350 point) capsules and six Salvestrol Gold (350 point) capsules, spread through the day by taking two of each capsule after each main meal. This level of Salvestrol supplementation (4,000 points per day) was maintained for four months. In addition, I began a program of breathing exercises, chi exercises, meditation, stretching and stress avoidance. Due to the variety of conditions that I suffered from, I received ongoing medical examinations. Eleven months after commencing Salvestrol supplementation But all invalid so I keep searching for a herbal cure online that how I came across a testimony appreciating Dr Itua on how he cured her HIV/Herpes, I contacted him through email he listed above, Dr Itua sent me his herbal medicine for cancer to drink for two weeks to cure I paid him for the delivering then I received my herbal medicine and drank it for two weeks and I was cured until now I'm all clear of cancer, I will advise you to contact Dr Itua Herbal Center On Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com. WhatsApps Number...+2348149277967. If you are suffering from Diseases listed below, Cancer, HIV/Aids, Herpes Virus,Bladder cancer,Brain cancer,Colon-Rectal Cancer,Breast Cancer,Prostate Cancer,
    ?Esophageal cancer,?Gallbladder cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,?Hodgkin lymphoma
    ?Intestinal cancer,Kidney cancer,Leukemia,Liver cancer,Lung cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,?Multiple myeloma,?Neuroendocrine tumors,Non-Hodgkin lymphoma,?Oral cancer,Ovarian cancer,?Sinus cancer,Skin cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer,Testicular cancer,Throat cancer,Thyroid Cancer,?Uterine cancer,Vaginal cancer,Als,Vulvar cancer,Hepatitis, Chronic Illness. Lupus,Fibromyalgia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all must treasure and protect the older generation since they are priceless resources. Thus, we must effectively care for them. We all find this challenging because of our busy schedules and high work demands, but we may always choose home care services for better support. If you are looking for home care for seniors in Canada, then Buddy Services is the apt solution. The elderly residents of your home will receive care from these professionals for their overall physical, mental, emotional, and psychological well-being.

    ReplyDelete